Firstly, what is a deep link? It is a type of link used to send users directly to specific in-app locations such as a video or program, saving users the time and energy locating a particular page themselves and significantly improving the user experience.
How to create a deep link
In the Build section (Legacy)
- Log into the VidApp Builder
- In the Build section, locate & click on the piece of content you wish to create the deep link for (when members tap this link it will deliver them directly to this piece of content inside your app)
- In the right-side menu that appears, click Copy Link under the Deep Linking section
- Paste or hyperlink the link to use it, whether that's in marketing communications or in the Push Notifications feature
In the Content section
- Log into the VidApp Builder
- In the Content section, locate & click on the piece of content you wish to create the deep link
- click "copy deep link" at the top of the page
Tip: Hyperlinks can be used to further customize the way these links are delivered. For example, the link can be added to existing text such as "tap here" by highlighting the text and then pressing CTRL + K (or Command + K for mac) on your keyboard and adding your deep link.
How deep linking works with your app
There are three paths that can be followed when clicking the deep link depending on whether the user already has the app installed or doesn't or is using a computer
- If the user already has the app installed on their device and taps on the deep link, the app will launch on their device and take the user straight to the specified content. If the user is not logged in and tries to tap on the content, they will then be prompted to log in
- If the user does not have the app installed on their device and taps on the deep-link, they will be deferred to the app store (either Apple or Google) to download the app. Once the app is installed and launched, they will automatically be taken the specified content without needing to tap on the link again
- If the user clicks on the link via a desktop/laptop computer, they will be taken to the specified website. By default, we will link this to your main website. If you want to use a specific URL, please let us know!
A few of the main use cases for deep linking:
- Increasing member engagement
Using the links in social posts, member emails, and push notifications to help existing members open directly to a specific video, challenge, etc... Great for increasing member engagement
- Acquiring new members
Using the links in social posts, ads, and emails to target non-members to download the app and drive them to a particular piece of content. i.e. yoga for better sleep, etc...
- Better app experience
In the next month or so, we will release a further update that will enable you to use the deep links in hyperlinked text in the descriptions on videos. This means you can easily direct an app user to another video that is not included in the same playlist/collection. i.e. "After this Vinyasa flow, try this 10-min meditation to round out your morning routine". This opens up a whole new world of opportunities with the app navigation and experience.